Friday, November 7, 2008

I'll take that with a side of passion please...

I was thinking about a couple of conversations I've had with some of you via e-mail (which by the way, I'd love it if you feel free to post comments here because I think that a lot of you bring some interesting and challenging positions for all of us to ponder and think through). I thought it might be pertinent for me to just clarify something before I begin to possibly start spewing my thoughts out in this public arena:

I am EXTREMELY passionate in EVERYTHING in my life, but most certainly my faith.

For those of you who know me well, I have always been pretty outspoken and had no problem sharing my opinion on anything and everything. I have to preface that with acknowledging that I am a sinner. Therefore, my passion often gets me in trouble because I tend to react rather than respond to something I care deeply about.

I say all this to ask one thing of you - patience and understanding (ok, that's 2 things). If you think I have written something that comes across offending you (or anyone you know) or sounds closed minded or self-righteous or whatever, then just please give me the opportunity to explain myself better either on this blog, via one on one e-mail or over the phone/in person. The reason I even decided to blog about this is because I believe this is the very reason I felt led to start blogging...because I want to be able to start honest, open and respectful dialogues with people - and I know sometimes my conversation is not seasoned with salt and gracious as the Bible calls it to be.

I tell the young women in the weekly small group I lead that I don't care what they believe, where they stand on certain positions, or how they vote....as long as they are well-informed on their beliefs and can logically defend those positions. I believe we all need to be able to defend and give a reason for the hope (or beliefs) we proclaim and if you don't know how to have respectful, open minded conversations with passion AND intelligence, you won't be able to have any real authority in the lives of those you are blessed to be in relationship with.

So pardon my passion and let the discussions begin!

4 comments:

The Unlikely Pastor's Wife said...

Great post Stacie.....and I love your passion. :-)

here's my devils advocate to one of your thoughts.

Some people can't logically explain their beliefs.
Sometimes.....I can't logically explain my faith......at one point, everyone has to take a step of faith to believe....that can be said of every day things as well. How can I really explain the trinity? I can't...it's a mystery. How can I really explain the fact that a man, who says he is God's son, died and was seen again in he flesh?
There are lot's of "logical" answers, but for those where their faith comes easy....it's a little bit easier to believe and talk about.

This isn't where I am....but I know people in that place. People who are passionate and believe things, but have a hard time explaining them, and even more so have a harder time with the faith thing.

Just something to think about when discussing things.

The Unlikely Pastor's Wife said...

p.s. my comment is meant to be in discussion....not something to "correct" you in your post.
:-)
I see your point and respect it...and value that someone really think out and be able to vocalize their beliefs......but I also want to respect the person that struggles with that faith part and not being able to fully explain why they believe whatever it is they believe.

Born to be Mrs. Beever said...

I totally get what you're saying Jen...and I agree. There's a song by the Newsboys called Believe that sums it up so well in the chorus:
i just believe
i just believe it
and sometimes i dunno why
i gotta go with my gut again on this one

not just a feeling
it's the reason
we know a line is crooked
`cause we know what's straight
that little voice inside

Of course there are certain things that are unexplainable and some things that we need to simply take on faith. Heck, if we didn't take it on faith, it wouldn't be 'choosing Jesus.' But once we take it on faith, God brings intelligence and other archaeological and historical data to help confirm what we can't fully explain...to give it some legitimacy.

What I was specifically referring to though goes beyond faith...I was speaking more to those who say that they are going to vote for a certain candidate, but don't really know anything truthful about that candidate...or people who say they have a certain position on a particular issue, but when I ask them why, they simply shrug and say because I heard it on a commercial or something like that.

I just think it's important to stand firm in your positions and to be able to explain them...Peter said we need to "Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have." I can't say what that reason is for each and every person because it's different for each one of us...but hopefully, each person has wrestled with it, sought truth in it, and feels confident that they know they can't be shaken on their beliefs.

The Unlikely Pastor's Wife said...

:-) Good song!