Monday, November 17, 2008

Church or Starbucks? Where do you want to go?

A friend of mine who works at my church sent me a link to a video that I found rather funny. Watch this

So what do you think? Is this what YOUR church is like? I have to confess, I have not been to my church in probably 2 years on a weekly consistent basis. A couple years ago, I was there several times a week. I do still lead my young women's group and I do still listen to several pastors on the internet and radio and do personal bible study so it's not like I've abandoned or neglected my church regimen or faith. But I just slowly found myself drifting away from the place I have called my 'church home' for 10 years now.

I don't know that you could place the blame on any one person, event or anyone other than myself ultimately. I still love that church...I love it's worship style and I love it's pastor and the way he teaches. I believe he is biblically sound and still loving while challenging others with the truth. But there are personal reasons why I have just let myself slip away from there.

It started mostly with my daughter's sports regimen and it's obtrusiveness on our Sunday mornings and weekends. Then after having to miss services for all-star softball and soccer games, I just let my daughter sleep in on Sundays and we began a regimen of NFL on Sunday mornings instead. That is totally my fault and I have been so lazy in getting disciplined again. But lately, my entire family (my mom, sister, boyfriend) have been talking about how we really all need to be back in church on a regular basis.

And then my friend sent me this video...and I wondered: Is THIS what I'm going to have to deal with if I go back to my old church or try to find a new one? I surely hope not...but more often than not, I have either seen it in action or have had friends tell me of their own horror stories similar to this.

Lord - Help us to actually be 'real' and not a building of fake Sunday morning living that doesn't permeate through our hearts and homes and help us to over come cliches and cliques in an effort to actually recognize each person for their place in your family and the contribution we can make to each others lives!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a coincidence! I almost posted about this in MY blog! I was sent it today also! :-) It is so funny how fast everything travels around the internet.

The Unlikely Pastor's Wife said...

What a funny video Stace!