Saturday, July 31, 2010

Wed Recap: Not your typical vows

As you will see in tomorrow's post, I had a big part in writing out our ceremony and especially our vows.  I truly wanted our vows to blend the traditional with the unique.  Instead of writing our own vows, we wrote personal messages to each other which were read at a different point in the ceremony.  But I still tweaked the 'traditional' wedding vows you hear at ceremonies to make them a little unique and unexpected (the mantra of our wedding day). 


I also loved the idea I had found on another bride's blog to invite your guests to renew their vows along with you so I wrote in a little bit about having married couples hold hands and just give a little squeeze to affirm their commitment to their vows along with ours.  So here is the video of us saying our vows to one another:


Again, true to ourselves, Mr Fix It couldn't help but interrupt me during my vows when he thought I made a mistake.  I love my response to him and the guests laughs.  :)

To make it a little faster and ensure we didn't really mess up much trying to repeat after the pastor, I wrote the vows out on a computer, printed them out and created these little 'vow cards' that our pastor handed us when it was our time to say them.  Each card had our name on it (Stacey's Vows, John's Vows) because they were slightly different since Mr Fix It's vows included a promise involving my daughter. 



Funny thing was, Mr Fix It did not read or know anything about these vows until the moment Lyle handed him the card to read.  In my defense, he didn't ask to see them before the ceremony and didn't ask what we were going to say as vows.   As things went on during the planning process, I began to realize that it was easier to not involve Mr Fix It in anything unless he specifically asked about it or wanted to be included in the decisions.  :)


Did any of you find that there were aspects of the wedding that you either didn't want your fiance involved in or he didn't care to inquire about?

Photos by Robert Mullins Photography
Raw video footage courtesy of Video Keepsakes of Beverly Hills

No comments: